Dundalk Gaels G.F.C was established in November 1928 following a meeting at Aras na Gaelige, Seatown. The meeting was attended by some of the Association’s highest profile figures within the county, including Joe Ward, who had filled a number of County Board positions, and named its first Honorary President in 1926 – and whom our Senior Club Championship trophy is named after. It was at this meeting where our Club’s first executive was elected, and on 24th November 1928 the newly formed Committee placed an advertisement in the Dundalk Democrat calling:
“All players and intending players of the newly-formed Dundalk Gaels GFC are requested to be in the clubrooms, Market Square, at 11 o’clock on Sunday morning to pick teams for the coming season. Those interested in Gaelic pastimes are asked to cooperate in making teams successful. Memberships cards can be had from any committee member, or Thomas McDonnell, Hon Secretary.”
On 13th December 1928 our Club’s first Annual General Meeting took place at the Sinn Fein Hall on Market Square. It attracted a large attendance with a lot of goodwill evident such was the enthusiasm, a practice match was arranged for St Stephen’s Day, with St Brides from Knockbridge providing the opposition. The colours of Blue and White were adopted and have not been altered since.
Our Club was welcomed by a contributor to the Dundalk Democrat named ‘Padraig’. In looking forward to the 1929 season he wrote:
“I have hopes for the newly-formed Gaels GFC, which is intended to represent Dundalk, and to having within its team the best footballers in the town and district about. The idea is a good one, though it has obvious disadvantages. The chief one is that it will mean the difficulty of providing opposition. But against this, there are now so many competitions and leagues and championships, that during suitable weather a team is kept fairly busy meeting its engagements. Good luck to Gaels and may they soon write their name large on football history.”
The above views expressed by ‘Padraig’ are as relevant today as they were then. Our Club has grown from modest beginnings, to now occupying a place in which we call home at ‘The Ramparts’.